Artists and organizers Anne Shields Hopkins and Joan Lowden invite collaborators to participate in a new project: the Eastport ArtWalk. A self-guided walking tour (to follow while you are safely walking for exercise) and map of window galleries all around town will be launched on Friday April 24th, to include artwork shown in windows of both private homes and businesses. All are encouraged to participate, whether by offering window display space to artists, or by showing their creative work, which can include crafts and hobbies and children’s art as well as drawings, paintings, etc. Please read on to find where YOU fit in:
1) If you are an artist without a street access window, we will match you with a “window gallery” who will hang your work. Work should be lightweight (ie unframed works on paper, fiber, etc). If you are concerned about exposure to sun or moisture, consider creating a work that you understand might be temporary. Or take a photo of a prized work and print for display. The important thing is showing your art.
2) If you are not an artist, but have a window with street view access we need you. We can match you with an artist and safely deliver the work to you for display.
3) If you are both – this is a great time to display your art in your own windows and be part of the tour so that everyone can enjoy your work.
4) One easy suggestion for gallerists is to create a “clothesline show”. Simply string cords across your window and attach works with clothespins. It is easy and work won’t be affected by moisture. But really anything goes – you are the curator.
5) It is easy to participate, simply send the following to Joan Lowden at firstname.lastname@example.org:
a. Artists seeking windows: provide image and size of your piece. If you have a proposal for a whole show, send a note with details.
b. Windows seeking artists: provide size and location of your window (to be included in map).
c. Artists with windows: Provide address as soon as possible and a photo of your window with the completed installation by April 24th (window images will be posted on our FB page).
6) Initial ArtWalk launch is April 24th, but we will continue to update the map as new window galleries are added.
7) Learn more about the ongoing project on Facebook or this site.
“We look forward to the magic that will happen when a whole community becomes an ArtWalk!”—Joan and Anne